Industrial and International Master thesis in a Research Collaboration between the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and TRUMPF
- Subject:Development of a topology optimization method for the design of sheet metal structures
- Date:March 2021
Application ending: 15th February 2021
- Links:PDF Download
Development of a topology optimization method for the design of sheet metal structures
Sheet metal design offers the possibility to manufacture cost-effective and lighter products. However, designing with sheet metal is not sufficiently supported either methodically or by simulation.
Three possible approaches to support the design of sheet metal structures by optimization:
- Transfer design guidelines to define design spaces of sheet metal as starting point for a topology optimization.
- Constrain the topology optimization to receive a sheet metal conforming design.
- Couple (iteratively) parameter optimization with a topology optimization.
- Literature research on the state of the art of topology optimization in the context of sheet metal design
- Introduction to topology optimization and design guidelines for sheet metal structures
- Comparison and evaluation of different approaches and methods
- Prototypical implementation of the identified approaches
- You want to work in an international collaboration?
- You work single-mindedly and independently.
- Are you creative and looking for challenges?