Modern drive systems make a major contribution to the performance, efficiency and, last but not least, the comfort of the vehicle. In this process, the increasingly complex interactions of the integrated subsystems, drive topology as well as the operation strategy play a decisive role. The focus of our research therefore is on methods for developing conventional, hybrid and electric drive systems in different fields of application and sizes. We are doing research on new types of simulation and test environments based on the IPEK-X-in-the-Loop-approach (IPEK-XiL-approach). This enables us to develop a system understanding of complex processes in the drive system. We use this knowledge to develop innovative drive components and systems.
- Optimization of drive systems and their subsystems
- Dynamic phenomena in the powertrain
- Drive system topologies, operating and shifting strategies for electrified drive systems
- Energy storage systems
Development and validation environments for:
- System "automotive powertrain"
- conventional drivetrains
- hybrid drivetrains
- electrical drivetrains
- Subsystems of the "automotive powertrain"
- battery systems
- systems for vibration reduction
- dry and wet clutch systems
- auxiliary units
- operation strategies
Actuators and their subsystems for aerospace or industrial applications
- Transfer and adaptation of methods, models and test environments for specific validation/verification goals
- Dealing with the limits of testing/measurement technology
- Development and validation methods for:
- (partially) electrical drivetrains, conventional drivetrains
- ...and their components,
- topologies and operation strategies,
which take into account the end-user's customer needs and the vehicle manufacturer/supplier's customer needs.
- IPEK-XiL-Framework for universal validation of technical systems:
- novel simulation environments,
- novel test environments,
- novel valuation approaches,
- innovative drive components and systems.
Reference models and recommended actions for:
- the development and validation of innovative drive systems,
- the development and validation of subsystems of conventional and electrified powertrains,
- process-related validation of hybrid drive systems,
- the evaluation of novel driving functions of hybrid vehicles,
- support and consulting in the strategic orientation of industrial partners.
- eDriL – eDrive-in-the-Loop test bench with battery simulator
- PLP – Powertrain-in-the-Loop test bench
- MCP – Multi Component test bench
- PPP – Power Pack test bench
- Shifting robot
- ARP - Acoustic roller dynamometer
- Several testing vehicles (conventional, hybrid, electric)
The information brochures and further equipment / measuring technology of the institute can be found here.
Publications within the Research Field
Braumandl, A.; Bause, K.; Schlüter, F.
2019. Future Mobility, Berlin, 8 - 9 April 2019
Bischofberger, A.; Ott, S.; Albers, A.
2019. 2. VDI-Fachtagung Schwingungen 2019 : Würzburg, 05. und 06. November / VDI-Gesellschaft Produkt- und Prozessgestaltung, 1 CD-ROM, VDI Verlag, Düsseldorf
Berger, J.; Theuerkauf, R.; Ott, S.
2018. 19. VDI-Kongress SIMVEC - Simulation und Erprobung in der Fahrzeugentwicklung : Baden-Baden, 20. und 21.November 2018, VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf
Wolter, K.; Ruoff, S.; Lutz, S.; Bause, K.; Ott, S.
2018. 12th International Conference & Expo: Automotive Transmissions, HEV and EV Drives (CTI Symposium USA 2018), May 14-17, 2018, Novi, MI
Eisele, M.; Kohler, K.; Prinz, F.; Ott, S.
2017. 30th International Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS30), Stuttgart, Germany, 9 - 11 October 2017. Bd.: 2, 933–945, Curran Associates, Red Hook (NY)
Albers, A.; Berger, J.; Boog, S.
2017. 2. VDI-Fachkonferenz Schwingungsreduzierung in mobilen Systemen 2017 : Kupplungen und Kupplungssysteme in Antrieben, Ettlingen, Germany, 17-18 May 2017, 135–145, VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf
Albers, A.; Bause, K.; Reichert, U.; Ott, S.
2017. EVS30 : The 30th International Electric Vehicle Symposium & Exhibition, Stuttgart, Germany, 9-11 October 2017
Albers, A.; Radimersky, A.; Ott, S.
2016. AIMS Energy, 4 (5), 723–741. doi:10.3934/energy.2016.5.723
Albers, A.; Boog, S.; Koch, C.; Müller, O.; Ott, S.
2015. 5th International VDI Congress Drivetrain for Vehicles (Getriebe in Nutzfahrzeugen) 2015, Friedrichshafen, 16. - 17. June, 2015, VDI-Verlag, Düsseldorf
Overview of all IPEK Publications
An overview of all IPEK publications can be found here.